Monday, January 9, 2012

Oh, Kyoto!



A hub buzzing with a traditional or yet heart-warming Japanese culture, Kyoto is my favourite city in Japan. My 2 friends, Azusa and Mei (Azusa whom I met in Nara and Mei whom I met on the day!) made this a very lovely trip for me.



I bought a one day pass (1600 yen) to travel around the Osaka, Nara and Kyoto area, which proved handy as I had to get from Nara to Kyoto and back (and not to mention I forgot my luggage in the lockers in Kyoto = another half trip back down there) , then to Osaka for my night departure to Kumamoto. I recommend grabbing the one-day bus pass (500 yen) to go sightseeing around Kyoto, whilst not forgeting my clumsiness, I lost this pass after only one bus trip...which might explain why I didn't visit the famous Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion). But we did manage to visit 3 places before I had to leave. Really, all was good since this was my second visit to Kyoto ;).



Some shrine, can't remember the name but it's near Nijo Castle. Very petite and pretty.



Story goes, if you walk across this bridge (towards the camera), your wish comes true! On another note, Azusa is so cute!



Apparently you pick out these fortune-telling papers and if they're bad (or really once you're done looking at 'em), you tie them onto this pole thing.



Nijo castle: How did people from the Edo period create such intricate details! I love the colours and the design. The inside was much more mind-blowing, and unfortunately you can't take photos inside so you'd just have to see for yourself!



Beautiful scenery from the top of Nijo castle ...apparently buildings cannot exceed a certain height (of about 7/9 floors or something) to preserve the unique landscape.



Toji Temple: listed World Heritage Site.



The famous 5-story pagoda part of Toji Temple - highest wooden tower in Kyoto.



Thought this was a cute taxi sign!



Everywhere you walk is so Japanese! Love Kyoto.

No comments:

Post a Comment